Thursday, February 18, 2010

On Surveying

I wasn't going to post this, because I feel like not a real writer sometimes.  But Kirsty did this, and it looked fun, and I was bored at work even though I was supposed to be studying for psychology.  So yes.
[Here's a random picture of my cat.]
1) What’s the last thing you wrote? What’s the first thing you wrote that you still have?
Last thing I completed was CONFESSIONS OF A SODOMITE.  Technically, though, I scrawled about half a page of prose on the bottom of my ucor notes last Wednesday, sparking an idea for a new WIP.

I still have stories from fifth grade.  Kurt and Annie, who were aliens on Saturn, running around with the austronaunts who came (the austronaunts were convieninetly only like twenty years old; that seemed plenty old enough when I was eleven).  That was an epic story.  It even had an illustration.  I was awesome.

2) Write poetry?

Never super seriously.  I mean, for class of course, and occasionally my thoughts get stuck in iambic pentamenter.  And sometimes I really like playing with words and rhymes and rhythm.  But most of the time, my 'poetry' is just stream-of-consciousness prose with abnormal line breaks.  I.  Am.  A.  Poser.  Poet.

3) Angsty poetry?

Hello junior high...

4) Favorite genre of writing?

Fiction: that realistic type.  Also, mythological inspired fairy tales (that one's new...).

5) Most annoying character you’ve ever created?

Annoying?  Trying to think.  Topher turned out to be pretty annoying in EXODUS.  Brian was obnoxious-sauce in WINDED (he didn't last long after I started to get annoyed with him). 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't really write characters that annoy me.  When people annoy me, it's because I'm being impatient, and choose to dehumanize them in my laziness instead of taking the time to love them.  If a character is annoying, they have a reason for being annoying.  I know their backstory, I know their family life, I know why they're annoying, and therefore they aren't annoying to me (but maybe to my characters) because I love them.

6) Best plot you’ve ever created?

What is this plot you speak of?  Probably EXODUS.  Or yet untitled WIP: I kind of really like my idea for that one.

7) Coolest plot twist you’ve ever created?

The end of CHILDREN OF WRATH.  Didn't see that one coming, did you Claire?

8 ) How often do you get writer’s block?

I don't get writer's block.  I get laziness-procrastinate-way-too-much-time-on-the-internet-slash-emailing-people-instead-of-writing-unless-it's-November.  Very seldom do I say, "I want to write," sit down on the chair, open a Word document, and just stare at it.  I get writer's block before the writing part.  It's more like focus block.  Or care enough to actually be productive right now block.

I guess there are moments during NaNoWriMo when I'm not sure where to go.  Or I just sit scrolling up and down through the pages for minutes [hours], hesitant to get the words out because inner editor has awoken with a vengeance.

9) Write fan fiction?

Just that once.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5353825/1/
Yeah, I was bored this summer.

10) Do you type or write by hand?

Almost always typing.  But when I'm in class, instead of taking notes or listening to lecture or watching the super interesting video clip you decided to play, it comes out handwritten.  I don't really have a preference.  Typing is faster, easier to fix things, and allows for more play.  Handwritten forces you to be semi-sure about the words you're laying down, but it seems more solid, more tangiable, gives you a chance to actually feel the words as they come out, and you have something to wave around and say "I wrote this" when you're done. But there is a lot more pressure to write chronologically.  Which I don't do.  Hardly ever.

11) Do you save everything you write?

Yes.

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you’ve abandoned it?

Occasionally, for fun.  I've never picked up an abandoned idea and kept going with it, though I have thought about finishing abandoned projects more than is probably healthy.  They're still saved.  Maybe eventually.

13) What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever written?

CONFESSIONS OF A SODOMITE.  Also, my short story for Imaginative Writing last spring quarter: I really had fun with that project.  Here's a sample.

14) What’s everyone else’s favorite story you’ve written?

Not sure anyone has read enough of my writing to have a favorite.  I don't know.  Victor?  Clarissa?  Anyone have an opinion?

15) Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?

A PART OF THE CURE.

Shut up, ok?  It was my first try at Nano...

16) What’s your favorite setting for your characters?

I love the castle in EXODUS, and the woods, and the shore, and the sea...

Also, in my short story from Imaginative Writing I stole the setting from my grandparent's old farm.  And I love that place with everything I am.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?

Um, negative four.

No, I need to be editting up CONFESSIONS in order to see whether or not it's better in chronological order sans the frame narrative, or the way it is.  And I want to play with my idea for the slave narrative/fairy tale that I brainstormed in UCOR.

18) Have you ever won an award for your writing?

I got a scholarship...  Whoohoo.  Oh and I got an honorable mention in the annual writing competition in my town.  Yeah, Edmonds!

19) What are your five favorite words?

Inculcate, reconcile, writhing, betwixt, snuggle.

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?

Rachel from PART OF THE CURE.  But secretly, I'm a lot like Matt too from CONFESSIONS.

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?

People around me.

Sort of.

I see people, and make up lives for them.  And then I change the people I had orignally seen, so they aren't actually like the people at all.

Or I like your stupid hats in Lit class so I steal them and your name for a main character.

I take little things from different people and different things I've read and mold them all together along with a lot of myself.  And we get characters.

22) Do you ever write based on your dreams?


No.  But sometimes my writing is prophetic.  As was one of my dreams a couple weeks ago.  Does that count for anything?

23) Do you favor happy endings?

Not if they're contrived.  I'd rather have a sad ending than a happy ending that feels fake.  I'm not scared of sad things happening.  Sad things allow you to see who people really are in the ways they react.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?

Yes.  But I suck [hard] at spelling.  People think that's weird.

25) Does music help you write?

Yes.  It helps the words come out more beautifully.

26) Quote something you’ve written. Whatever pops in your head.

From EXODUS:
Naomi stepped into the doorway of Solomon’s room. She stopped, staring; the curtains were flung open, sunlight streaming in. Solomon stood before the window, gazing out. He was stretching his wings, spreading them to their full extent, tips brushing the walls, muscles on his back rippling. The sun surrounded him, making the tips of his hair, and the edges of his feathers shine gold. Naomi sucked in her breath; Solomon heard her and turned, saw her standing in his doorway. His eyes were shining. He crossed to his bureau, pulling a black shirt over his head, mussing his hair. He leaned back against the dresser, crossing his arms over his chest.


“I just came for your tray,” she said. His eyes flittered over to where it still lay on his beside table, now empty. She took two steps into his room, before pausing, turning back to him. “Are you feeling better?” He nodded once. “Good,” she said, while hastily picking up the tray, “That’s good.” She made to leave him alone but he grasped her arm.

“Did I hear you scream last night?”

“No,” she said quickly, unable to tear her gaze from his. “Well, yes, but I was just dreaming. It’s fine. I’m fine.” She forcibly closed her mouth. His black eyes, so black, shone. “I should go,” she said.

“Wait, I’ll come with you.” He took the tray from her hands, and walked out the door, leaving her trailing behind.

She paused, smiled slightly and overtook him on the stairs, tugging the tray from his hands, “I believe this is my job.”

He smirked, “I suppose it is. However, I am supposed to be a gentleman.” As they ventured down a few more stairs, Solomon tried to take the tray again, but Naomi curled her fingers around the edges. He tugged, not getting the tray, only pulling her closer. He laughed, an incredible sound, warming her heart, echoing around the empty entrance hall. They continued to struggle into the kitchen. They burst through the door, both laughing. Martha looked up from behind the stove, mouth shut tight. Silence echoed around the kitchen for a moment; Solomon coughed, stepping away from Naomi, relinquishing the tray. He nodded awkwardly at Martha, and backed out of the room.

Um, guys with wings trump sparkly creepers.  That's all.
 
PS: Ali Morgan, I think you should get a blog.

3 comments:

  1. for #14:

    Confessions of a Sodomite. Hands down.
    now I want to take this quiz. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sparkly wings? can I please please read this?

    Then I can answer number 14 too!

    Love.
    Please say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm glad you did the quiz! I loved your response to annoying characters ... I want to practice that response with real people. And I love your wit -- I was cracking up as I read this, and I'm sure my philosophy professor now knows that I'm not taking notes...

    PS: I don't think you're a poser poet. You have a gift with words, girl!

    ReplyDelete